Readers will learn how to properly format and sanitize EdgeSwitch configurations to remove all personal and sensitive information.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Table of Contents
Downloading the Configuration from the EdgeSwitch
The first step is to download the backup archive from the EdgeSwitch using the Web UI.
GUI: Access the EdgeSwitch Web UI.
1. Navigate to the Settings to download the backup archive.
Settings > System actions > Backup
2. Download the archive file by clicking on the Backup button.
3. The EdgeSwitch will prompt you to save the configuration to your computer.
NOTE: The backup configuration is named backup-cfg and is included in the hostname.tar.gz archive.
4. Open the hostname.tar.gz archive using a file archival program such as 7-Zip.
5. Extract the backup-cfg file from the archive.
Sanitizing the Configuration
Now we can modify the contents of the config.boot file in order to sanitize (obscure) any sensitive information. Some examples are:
Public IP addresses
UNMS connection info
Custom banner message
1. Open the cfg-backup file using a text editor.
2. Look for any sensitive information to obscure.
3. Save the edited cfg-backup file.