Readers will learn how to properly format, sanitize and post configurations on the EdgeSwitch forums.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Table of Contents
- Downloading the Configuration from the EdgeSwitch
- Sanitizing the Configuration
- Posting the Configuration on the Forums
- Related Articles
Downloading the Configuration from the EdgeSwitch
The first step is to download the backup archive from the EdgeSwitch using the Web UI.
GUI: Access the EdgeSwitch Web UI.
1. Navigate to the Settings to download the backup archive.
Settings > System actions > Backup
2. Download the archive file by clicking on the button.
3. The EdgeSwitch will prompt you to save the configuration to your computer.
NOTE: The backup configuration is named
4. Open the hostname.tar.gz archive using a file archival program such as 7-Zip.
5. Extract the
backup-cfg file from the archive.
Sanitizing the Configuration
Now we can modify the contents of the config.boot file in order to sanitize (obscure) any sensitive information. Some examples are:
Public IP addresses
UNMS connection info
Custom banner message
1. Open the
cfg-backup file using a text editor.
2. Look for any sensitive information to obscure.
3. Save the edited
Posting the Configuration on the Forums
1. Use the Insert Code or the Spoiler Tag button.
2. Paste the configuration and insert it.
NOTE: If the configuration file is too large, you can also add it as an attachment.
3. Preview the message using the Preview tab.