This article describes the various methods of obtaining management access to an EdgeRouter.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS: This article applies to all EdgeRouter models with version 1.10.0 and higher.
Devices and Tools used in this article:
Table of Contents
- How to Access EdgeRouter Using GUI
- How to Access EdgeRouter with Putty (Windows)
- How to Access EdgeRotuer with Terminal (Linux, OS X)
- How to Access EdgeRouter with Console (Windows)
- How to Access EdgeRouter with Console (Linux, OS X)
- How to Access EdgeRouter Using Discovery Tool
- Related Articles
These methods can be used to access the EdgeRouter webUI or Command Line Interface (CLI). In cases where an EdgeRouter becomes inaccessible due to a misconfiguration or errors, the SSH Recovery service introduced in firmware 1.10.0 allows access to the EdgeRouter before the configuration is loaded.
How to Access EdgeRouter Using GUI
With a default configuration you can access the EdgeRouter from a web browser (Google Chrome is recommended and supported) using the IP address of the EdgeRouter. In the address bar just enter https:\\<IPofRouter>
NOTE: http requests are automatically redirected to https to ensure a secure connection is made to the EdgeRouter.
How to Access EdgeRouter Using PuTTY (Windows)
Using a tool such as PuTTY for Windows you may access the CLI of the EdgeRouter using SSH, by filling the IP number of your router in the field provided as shown in the image below.
How to Access EdgeRouter Using Terminal (Linux, OS X)
- Open the Terminal Application in Linux or OS X.
- Press Enter to connect.
NOTE: Some devices enable strict host checking as a security feature. When connecting to multiple devices that have the same IP address, you may need to remove the previous key associated with that IP address.
To remove the previous key associated with that same IP address, follow these steps:
- Click Finder.
- Click "Go" on the tool bar.
- Click "Go to Folder".
- Type ~/.ssh/
- Press Enter.
- Open the
known_hostfile in a text editor.
- Delete all of the text in the file or a specific IP address and the corresponding key.
- Save the file.
- When you return to Terminal, you will be prompted to verify the key fingerprint. Do so to continue.
How to Access EdgeRouter Using Console (Windows)
Using a tool such as PuTTY for Windows you may access the CLI of the EdgeRouter using a serial connection. This is typically accomplished using a USB to Serial cable. The port speed required for EdgeMAX devices is 115200. Fill the fields according to image below:
How to Access EdgeRouter Using Console (Linux, OS X)
In Linux and OS X you may connect to an EdgeRouter using a USB to Console cable using the steps below.
1. Open Terminal Application in OS X
2. Type in the following command to find your serial interface:
ls -ltr /dev/*usb*
The serial interface will show ".tty". Here is an example:
mac:~ admin$ ls -ltr /dev/*usb*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 3 Feb 8 15:48 /dev/cu.usbserial-AI038TPF
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 2 Feb 9 08:56 /dev/tty.usbserial-AI038TPF
3. Use Screen command to connect to console. Type screen and copy and paste the path to the serial interface.
screen /dev/tty.usbserial-AI038TPF 115200
How to Access EdgeRouter Using Discovery Tool
1. Download the UBNT Discovery Tool (Java).
2. Double-click on an EdgeMAX device in the list (discovery requires local IPv4 connectivity).
Option 1: WebUI
This method will automatically open https access to the EdgeRouter.
Option 2: Rescue WebUI
When the standard WebUI access fails, this option requires local IPv6 connectivity to the EdgeRouter and automatically forwards the remote SSH port to a local port to allow for webUI access.
Option 3: SSH Access with IPv6 connectivity
The Rescue IP address is automatically formatted for direct connectivity from the local device with IPv6 enabled to the EdgeRouter. Clicking "copy", then using the command below in Putty or Terminal for example will allow SSH access using IPv6.
NOTE: More details concerning SSH Recovery access and instructions to manually calculate the IPv6 Link-Local address can be found in: EdgeRouter - How to Use SSH Recovery