This guide explains the advantages of using the local Sandbox Mode, a testing environment that allows WISP administrators to experience UCRM before going live.
Table of Contents
Sandbox Mode Overview
There are two ways to test UCRM:
- Public online demo: http://ucrm-demo.ubnt.com.
- Sandbox Mode which is automatically deployed after an admin installs UCRM.
The Sandbox Mode allows administrators to try out the system without running the risk of sending out testing invoices or other data to their clients. The online payment gateways can also be tested in this way if desired. All the invoices, notifications, password-change requests, and the sorts will be sent to the administrator's email while in this mode, instead of client emails. When the admin is familiar with the system and has finished his testing, the Sandbox Mode can be terminated and the settings can be pruned out, selecting what data to keep.
There are three main differences when in Sandbox Mode:
- All emails are sent to the super admin instead of its normal recipient.
- All payment gateways are switched to testing mode.
- All pages have a Sandbox Mode notification, which ensures that no emails are sent to clients.
How to Use the Sandbox Mode
This is the recommended step-by-step approach:
- Create an account in the Setup Wizard. In this step also provide the super admin’s email, which will be used for all notifications.
- Check the Sandbox mode toggle is ON in the last step of the Setup Wizard. Check the box for "Turn On the Sandbox Mode" in the Setup Wizard.
- Test UCRM: set up the system, service plans, clients. Feel free to use real-life data, since at the moment of exiting Sandbox Mode you may select what data and configurations to keep.
When satisfied, you can terminate the Sandbox Mode. When doing so, choose how you want to handle the data previously inserted. You can delete all the testing data, keep it all, or pick what you delete and what you keep. This enables you to set real life data, test the app and then launch it into production mode. See the features below.
Sandbox Mode Features
The Setup Wizard now requires an email address for the super admin user. If the Sandbox Mode is activated, the system will forcefully remove the current recipient of any email it sends. The super admin's email will be used instead.
This allows you to test all of UCRM's features, including creating and sending out invoices, creating new clients, sending out email invitations, etc. You can do all this with real data, but all the emails will be sent to you. This allows you to really test out the complete experience, and even see what your clients would be looking at.
In the organization edit form there are now two sets of fields for each payment gateway. While the system remains in Sandbox Mode, the testing API keys will be used. You can also set up the production (live) API keys but they will only be used once the Sandbox Mode is terminated.
Sandbox Mode Termination
When you're ready to use UCRM in live production mode you will have to terminate the Sandbox Mode, which you can do in the Sandbox Mode Termination page (click on Sandbox Mode in the left-hand side menu).
While you were testing UCRM, you created entities which you may want to use in the production mode, such as the system settings, organization and clients, service plans, etc. On the other hand, you may want to delete all the test invoices, payments and other "operational data".
Choose the data which you want to keep (typically clients, their services, etc.) and remove the test data (typically invoices, payments). If you want to delete all the data you put into UCRM and start with fresh clean system, i.e. factory reset, click on "Delete all data and start again". In this case, all the data will be deleted including system settings, users, permissions, etc.