In more recent production runs of the UVC-NVR, there is a new default firmware loaded which has SSH disabled by default. This is a protection mechanism, since putting a server in a situation where it is directly accessible from the Internet with default credentials is a massive security risk.
It’s quite easy to enable SSH, however. But first, a few key warnings:
- If you have the need to put the NVR directly on the Internet or forward SSH ports through to the NVR, make sure that you choose a very secure password. We recommend at least 16 characters with special characters included.
- Depending on your configuration, SSH may not be necessary all the time.
- The NVR web UI password is the same as the SSH password. If you change it in one location, it changes in the other location as well.
- You should always change the default password.
Table of Contents
Steps to Enable SSH on your UVC-NVR
- Log in to the web interface of your NVR via standard HTTP and no port designator. For example, if your NVR’s IP is 192.168.1.20, then you would enter 192.168.1.20 in the URL bar of your browser.
- Browse to the Configuration tab. Depending on the vintage of the NVR, it will be one of these two screens:
- Log in to the NVR. The default credentials are:
- There, you will see a checkbox to Enable/Disable the SSH server:
- Check the box, then click the Save button.
- SSH is now accessible on your NVR. Note: if you ever have the need, you can disable SSH access by performing these same steps again, just unchecking the box instead.
How to Change your Password
If you still had the default password, you should get a prompt to change the password upon first login. If you did not, go to the Maintenance tab and click Change Password.
- Back to Basics - How to Establish a Connection Using SSH
- UniFi Video - How to Repair a Database for Linux
- UniFi Video - Where are the firmware files located on disk?
- UniFi Video - How to add a network volume to the NVR appliance?
- UniFi Video - How to add an external disk to the NVR appliance?
- UniFi Video - How to Reset a UniFi Video Installation for Linux/Hardware NVR
- UniFi Video - How to update the NVR appliance's operating system?