This article describes how to enable and disable SSH on the UVC NVR.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS: In more recent production runs of the UVC-NVR, there is a new default firmware loaded which has SSH disabled by default.
Table of Contents
In more recent production runs of the UVC-NVR, there is a new default firmware loaded which has SSH disabled by default. This is a protection mechanism, since putting a server in a situation where it is directly accessible from the Internet with default credentials is a security risk.
Enabling SSH on the UVC NVR
- Log in to the web interface of the NVR via standard HTTP by typing in the NVR's IP into the browser. For example, if your NVR’s IP is 192.168.1.20, then you would enter 192.168.1.20 in the URL bar of your browser with nothing else after it.
- Browse to the Configuration tab. Depending on the version of the NVR, this will be accessed either by clicking the gear icon in the upper right of screen as shown in the first screenshot below. Or for the Device Configuration option if no gear is available (older models).
NOTE: Please note that there are two "settings" interfaces for UniFi Video, and if you do not go to the one described in these first two steps, you will not see the SSH option under the Configuration section. So follow the path described carefully.
- UniFi Video NVR
- Earlier airVision NVR:
- UniFi Video NVR
- Log in to the NVR. The username will still be the default, but if you have already logged in in the past, you will have been prompted to change the password.
User Tips: Default credentials will be one of these two combinations:
- Under the Configuration section click the checkbox to Enable SSH Server at the bottom:
- Click the Save button.
- SSH is now accessible on the NVR. To disable SSH access perform these same steps, unchecking the box instead.
Changing the SSH Password
1. Log in to the web interface of the NVR following steps 1 - 3 of the above section.
2. If the default password is still in place, a prompt will appear to change the password upon first login. If no prompt appears, go to the Maintenance tab and click Change Password.
3. There is no SSH password recovery option if the credentials are forgotten. If you are unable to log in to this page, a factory reset will be necessary for the NVR.