This article outlines how to stream RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) from a UVC camera.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Table of Contents
In the current versions of UniFi Video and Ubiquiti cameras, there are three supported configurations:
- UniFi Video: all configuration, streaming and recording is done via the UniFi Video interface.
- RTSP: all configuration is done from the camera's web interface. Streaming and recording is done via a third party program that supports RTSP.
- UniFi Video & RTSP: within the UniFi Video interface, RTSP can be enabled. In this case, the video is streamed to the UniFi Video interface and then can be re-streamed back out to a third party program.
This article outlines option number 2. For demonstration purposes, VLC player is used as the 3rd party program.
Steps: How to do RTSP Directly from the Camera
1. Connect the camera to the network as outlined in the Quick Start Guide (QSG) that came with your camera. QSG's current versions are also downloadable in the Downloads page, within each product's Documentation section.
2. Update the camera's firmware to the newest available (also found in the Downloads page).
3. Log in to the camera.
a. On a new install, the wizard will appear. Select Standalone mode.
b. If this camera is already in use, go to the Configure tab and ensure it is set to Standalone mode and Save.
4. Change any settings if desired, save, then copy the RTSP URL.
5. Copy the RTSP URL into the third party program.
6. Enable RTSP authentication (password protected stream) if desired at the bottom of that screen.
Enter the credentials when prompted in the third party program. Not all programs will necessarily support this feature or may be formatted differently.
User Tip: Users have reported being successful using channel s1 for playback, when only receiving sound (but no video) using channel s0.