This article will outline how to stream RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) from a UVC camera.
Table of Contents
Before you Begin
In the latest versions of UniFi Video and cameras, there are 3 main methods for the system to function:
- UniFi Video: all configuration, streaming and recording is done via the UniFi Video interface.
- RTSP: all configuration is done from the camera's web interface. Streaming and recording is done via a 3rd party program that supports RTSP.
- UniFi Video & RTSP: within the UniFi-Video interface, you can enable RTSP. In this case, the video is streamed to the UniFi Video interface and then can be re-streamed back out to a 3rd party program.
This article outlines option number 2. For demonstration purposes, I will only be streaming to VLC Player.
- For airCams (screenshots not shown), you’ll need firmware v1.2
- For UVCs and UVC-G3s, you’ll need the latest 3.2 or better firmware
- A 3rd party program that supports RTSP
Steps to Follow
1. Connect your camera to the network as outlined in the Quickstart Guide that came with your camera.
2. Update the firmware to the necessary firmware if required.
3. Login to the camera.
a. If your camera is freshly installed, you’ll see the wizard. Make sure you select Standalone mode.
b. If your camera is not freshly installed, go to the Configure tab and ensure it is set to Standalone mode and Save.
4. Change your settings if desired, save, then copy the RTSP URL.
5. Copy the RTSP URL into your 3rd party program.
Optional step: If you want to enabled RTSP authentication (password protected stream) enable it here:
Enter the credentials when prompted in your 3rd party program. Note: not all programs may support this feature or be formatted differently.