This article outlines how to stream RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) from a UVC camera.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Table of Contents
In the latest versions of UniFi Video and cameras, there are three supported configurations:
- UniFi Video: all configuration, streaming and recording is done via the UniFi Video interface.
- RTSP: all configuration is done from the camera's web interface. Streaming and recording is done via a 3rd party program that supports RTSP.
- UniFi Video & RTSP: within the UniFi-Video interface, you can enable RTSP. In this case, the video is streamed to the UniFi Video interface and then can be re-streamed back out to a 3rd party program.
This article outlines option number 2. For demonstration purposes, we'll be using VLC player as our 3rd party program.
Steps: How to do RTSP Directly from the Camera
1. Connect your camera to the network as outlined in the Quick Start Guide that came with your camera (most current QSG version is also downloadable at the bottom of each product page:UBNT Products).
2. Update the firmware to the necessary firmware if required.
3. Log in to the camera.
a. On a new install, you’ll see the wizard. Make sure you select Standalone mode.
b. If this camera is already in use, go to the Configure tab and ensure it is set to Standalone mode and Save.
4. Change your settings if desired, save, then copy the RTSP URL.
5. Copy the RTSP URL into your 3rd party program.
6. If you want to enabled RTSP authentication (password protected stream) enable it here:
Enter the credentials when prompted in your 3rd party program. Not all programs will necessarily support this feature or may be formatted differently.
User Tip: Users have reported being successful using channel s1 for playback, when only receiving sound (but no video) using channel s0.