This article will outline how to reset a UniFi Video Installation under the Linux operating system (also applies to our hardware NVR) and how to restore recordings. The article for resetting a Windows installation can be found here.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Please note that this will clear out all settings and managed cameras but the recordings will remain. If you do not restore a configuration backup, it will be necessary to re-manage the cameras, setup motion zones/sensitivities, reconnect the install to the cloud, etc. This method should only be used after a database repair has been attempted and been advised by a Ubiquiti employee.
Table of Contents
Steps to Reset a UFV Installation
- If you wish to restore your current configuration after the reset, ensure you have a configuration backup, or generate one from the Settings page in UniFi Video.
- SSH into the UniFi Video server or hardware NVR. (Need guidance on SSH? Click here.)
- Edit /usr/lib/unifi-video/data/system.properties
- You can use
picoto do this. However, on our hardware NVR,
viis the only text editor. You can quickly install
apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get install nano; apt-get clean
- You can use
- Locate the line that reads:
is_default=falseand change it to:
- Restart UniFi Video
service unifi-video restart
- It will take a moment to wipe out the database and restart the web service.
- Access your install as usual (https://[UniFi-Video IP address]:7443). The complete process of how to access the initial setup wizard can be found in the UniFi Video User Guide.
- The initial setup wizard will appear. Either restore the backup saved prior to recover your configuration or complete the configuration wizard to configure the system.
- As always, the first thing you should do after completing the wizard is go to Settings > NVR Settings > Configure tab and check your storage path as well as the "Space to Keep Free" setting.
Steps to Restore Recordings
The following methods will guide a user to attempt to restore their recordings.
ATTENTION: Please note that the analysis tool may actually remove the recordings. It is recommended to make a backup of your recordings prior to performing these steps.
For versions 3.9.0 or later:
- Go to Settings > NVR Settings > Configure tab > Expand Tools section.
- Check the "Restore Recordings" option, and click ANALYZE:
For versions 3.8.5 or earlier:
- Edit the system.properties file (/usr/lib/unifi-video/data/system.properties) and add the following to the bottom:
- Restart the UniFi Video service via service unifi-video restart.
- Log in to the web interface.
- Go to Settings > NVR Settings > Configure tab > Expand Tools section > Click the Analyze button. Your recordings will only restore if the storage path is correct.
- Restoring recordings can take some time (anywhere from 30 minutes to 5+ hours depending on how many you have). You can continue to use the system as normal, as well as continue to manage your cameras and set up your configuration, but make sure you stay logged in while the analysis is complete. A simple way to do this would be to open a Live Feed from a camera or a Live View to prevent the system from logging you out.