If you already tried resetting your device to factory default values with the reset button and you can't access the unit, you can perform a reset using TFTP Recovery.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
This guide refers to a PC running Windows and Linux but is easily applicable to any other OS; and to all airFiber devices. You will need:
Table of Contents
- Steps: Recovery Procedure for Windows
- Steps: Recovery Procedure for Linux
- Related Articles
By reloading fresh firmware to restore the device, this process can also be useful to recover devices that have appeared to fail when no other solution is working. The firmware used is dependent on the firmware compatible with the product, and the version (use the latest available).
WARNING: Do not switch off, reboot or disconnect the device from the power supply during the firmware upgrade process, as these actions will damage the device!
Steps: Recovery Procedure for Windows
1. Power off the device.
2. Configure your computer: Windows PC's Ethernet must be configured manually with the following settings (under Network Connections):
IP Address: 192.168.1.254, Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
3. Connect your airFiber unit to the PC using the Config port.
NOTE: DATA port will not work for TFTP recovery method.
4. Begin by pressing the reset button. While holding button down, power the unit on. Wait 8 seconds then release the button (if you want to reset the unit to factory defaults, wait at least 15 seconds). Signal LEDs will be lit indicating that the device is ready for recovery.
5. Make sure that radio responds to pings (perform a ping 192.168.1.20 from a DOS window), if it does not, go back to the first step.
6. Upload firmware image file .bin to 192.168.1.20, using a TFTP client software (binary mode). Windows integrated command line TFTP client or download a third party utility to upload the airOS firmware. For example:
From Windows PC, you can use TFTP command line from a DOS window (
START>>>CMD). Go into the same directory structure as the firmware (e.g., assuming that you have stored the image files in c:\firmware directory, type the command :
cd c:\firmware) and enter the following (for help type TFTP -h):
tftp -i 192.168.1.20 put AF5X.v4.0.3.bin
NOTE: Remember you should be using the latest firmware bin file and the one applicable to your device. The one shown above is only an example.
7. Signal LEDs will keep blinking one by one in 4 different colors during firmware upgrade. Wait for about 7-10 minutes (devices and firmware depending). Do not power off the device during the procedure!
Steps: Recovery Procedure for Linux
Generic Linux distributions have an integrated command line TFTP client. From a PC running Linux, you can upload via TFTP by typing into Terminal the following commands:
tftp> put WA.v184.108.40.206727.180118.1314.bin
Sent 1965199 bytes in 35.2 seconds