In this article readers will learn how to upgrade the device firmware. Normally the device's web interface is used, but scp/ssh can also be used.
You can grab the appropriate firmware from:
- Your existing mFi controller. That way you will have the same firmware as your controller. For example, on my Debian installation my firmware is found in the directory: /usr/lib/mfi/dl/firmware/. In there you will find separate folders for each mFi device model.
- From ubnt.com via downloads.ubnt.com or using www.ubnt.com/downloads/mfi/<version>/firmware/<pro
duct>/firm ware.bin For example: www.ubnt.com/downloads/mfi/2.1.3/firmware/M2M/firm ware.bin
(note: as of version 2.1.3, and the foreseeable future, all mFi devices use the same firmware so you'll often see instructions on the forum specifying one version of the firmware for any mFi product type)
Uploading firmware using Web UI (version 2.0 and later)
- Open a web browser to the IP address of the device (note: If the device is WiFi-only (mPower, In-Wall Outlet, Dimmer/Switch...) in factory default mode, connect to the device's "mFi <mac>" WiFi network)
- Open a browser to the IP address of device and click the system tab (note: if WiFi-only device in factory default mode, access the system tab by browsing directly to http://192.168.2.20/system.cgi)
- Click 'Choose File' under 'Upload Firmware'
- Select the firmware file on your computer
- Click the up arrow icon to upload the firmware
- Once the firmware has been uploaded, click the 'Update' button. The device will flash the image, reboot and come up running the new image. (DO NOT UNPLUG THE DEVICE DURING THE FLASHING PROCESS!)
Uploading firmware to device via SCP/SSH (versions prior to 2.0)
This method requires an SCP and SSH (or Telnet) client, which is part of most Unix distributions. If you don't have those clients and do not want to install them, then you need to rely on the mFi Controller to upgrade your device firmware.
1. If the device is a WiFi-only (mPower, In-Wall Outlet, Dimmer/Switch...) in factory default mode, connect to the device's "mFi <mac>" WiFi network and use 192.168.2.20 as the IP address (with ubnt as the username and password)
2. Using an scp (secure copy) client 'scp' the image to the device's /tmp directory. For example:
scp firmware.bin [email protected]:/tmp/fwupdate.bin
3. SSH or Telnet to 192.168.2.20 and enter the username and password.
4. enter the command:
/sbin/syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &
The device will flash the image, reboot and come up running the new image. (DO NOT UNPLUG THE DEVICE DURING THE FLASHING PROCESS!)
|IWD1U||In Wall Dimmer (US)|
|IWO2U||In Wall Outlet (US)|
|P1E||mPower 1 port (EU)|
|P1U||mPower 1 port (US)|
|P3E||mPower 3 port (EU)|
|P3U||mPower 3 port (US)|
|P6E||mPower Pro 6 port (EU)|
|P8U||mPower Pro 8 port (US)|