This article describes possible causes and solutions for when your station won't connect to an airMAX access point.
Possible causes / recommended actions
- Compatibility Between Radios
- Compatibility Between airMAX AC and an airMAX M Device
- Compatibility Between a Legacy Station and an airMAX M Access Point
- Compatibility Between Non-Ubiquiti Radios and an airMAX M Access Point
- Misconfiguration on Access Point or Station
- Related Articles
Compatibility Between Radios
Frequency: Radios must use the same frequency range. As an example, M5 and M2 products are not compatible.
airMAX Protocol: Any airMAX access point (AP) with the airMAX protocol active will not allow connections from stations that are not airMAX-ready. To connect non-airMAX clients, disable the airMAX protocol on the AP. Note that disabling airMAX is not recommended since airMAX provides the best possible performance in outdoor wireless networks.
airMAX-AC: airMAX M devices are only able to connect to airMAX AC Access Points. But AC devices cannot connect to an M device as an access point. See airMAX - How to Connect airMAX M Stations to an airMAX AC Access Point.
Compatibility Between airMAX AC and an airMAX M Device
- Make sure your airMAX AC AP is upgraded to the current stable firmware.
- Upgrade all airMAX M clients to the current stable firmware.
Compatibility Between a Legacy Station and an airMAX M Access Point
- Upgrade the Legacy station to version 4.x. Find downloads here.
- Upgrade airMAX M AP version 6.x.
- Now Legacy radios can connect to airMAX M APs with airMAX enabled.
- Navigate to the airMAX M AP's GUI.
- Make sure that airSelect is not enabled.
Compatibility Between Non-Ubiquiti Radios and an airMAX M Access Point
- Navigate to the airMAX AP's GUI.
- Navigate to the airMAX tab.
- Disable airMAX protocol on airMAX.
- Click "Change" then "Apply."
- Now the airMAX M AP will use the 802.11 CSMA / CA protocol to work with other stations.
- Navigate to the Wireless page and ensure that "Channel Shifting" is disabled.
Misconfiguration on Access Point or Station
- Navigate to the Wireless pages of both AP and Station.
- Check that wireless settings match on AP and Station, including:
- Channel widths (e.g., AP = 40MHz & Station = 40 / 20MHz)
- Operating frequencies
- Channel shifting
- Wireless security