Readers will leader how to connect to an EdgeRouter using a RJ45 serial console cable.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Applicable to the latest EdgeOS firmware on all applicable EdgeRouter models that include console ports. Knowledge of the Command Line Interface (CLI) and basic networking knowledge is required. Please see the Related Articles below for more information.
Devices used in this article:
Supported Models & Serial Console Settings
The tables below list the EdgeRouter models that are equipped with a RJ45 serial console port:
The default serial port settings are listed below:
- Baud rate: 115200
- Data bits: 8
- Parity: NONE
- Stop bits: 1
- Flow control: NONE
Connect to Serial Console
In order to connect to the console you will need to use the following items/programs:
- RJ45 to DB9 serial console cable (rollover cable)
- USB to DB9 adapter
- Terminal emulation program, such as PuTTY
1. Open the terminal emulator and specify the serial COM line and the baud rate/speed.
2. Connect to the EdgeRouter and login using your credentials.
Welcome to EdgeOS ubnt ttyS0
By logging in, accessing, or using the Ubiquiti product, you
acknowledge that you have read and understood the Ubiquiti
License Agreement (available in the Web UI at, by default,
http://192.168.1.1) and agree to be bound by its terms.
ER login: <username>
NOTE: The default username and password are ubnt/ubnt.
3. Press ? to get a listing of all commands available.
- Intro to Networking - How to Establish a Connection Using SSH
- EdgeSwitch - Connect to Serial Console