There are several methods for resetting to factory defaults:
- "Runtime" reset: Use the hardware Reset button while the system is already up and running (available since v1.1.0)
- "Power-on" reset: Use the hardware Reset button while powering up the device
- Reset config file to defaults from CLI. (Note: This only reset the start-up configuration and will not reset any other system changes.)
- Last resort recovery (recompile, scripts, etc.). Only use this after trying the previous methods.
The new "runtime reset to factory defaults" feature achieves the same result as the previous reset mechanism (holding reset button while powering up the device) but should be easier to perform since it is done while the device is already up and running.
To perform the runtime reset, follow these steps:
- The device should be up and running. If the device is just powered on and still booting, wait until booting is completed.
- Press and hold the Reset button.
- The right LED on the right-most Ethernet port should start flashing within a couple of seconds.
- Continue holding the Reset button until the LED becomes ON (no flashing). You may need to hold the button for about 10 seconds total.
- A few seconds after the LED becomes ON, it will turn OFF. This means the reset is completed, and the unit will automatically reboot at this point.
- Wait for the reboot to complete for the defaults to take effect.
The reset mechanism also logs its actions in syslog, so, for example, if you look at the syslog during the reset, you may see the following messages:
ubnt@ubnt:~$ tail -f /var/log/messages
Jun 1 10:07:02 ubnt ubnt-util: (Config Reset) Reset button pressed (1)
Jun 1 10:07:05 ubnt ubnt-util: (Config Reset) Reset button pressed (2)
Jun 1 10:07:08 ubnt ubnt-util: (Config Reset) Reset button pressed (3)
Jun 1 10:07:08 ubnt ubnt-util: (Config Reset) Config reset confirmed, resetting to defaults
Jun 1 10:07:11 ubnt ubnt-util: (Config Reset) Config reset completed, rebooting
- Disconnect the Power Adapter from the Power port.
- Press and hold the Reset button while connecting the Power Adapter to the Power port.
- Keep holding the button until the right LED of the last Ethernet port (port 2) starts flashing.
- Continue holding the button until the LED becomes ON (not flashing) after a few seconds.
- The LED becomes OFF after about a second, indicating the reset is complete.
Reset config file from CLI
Note: This only reset the start-up configuration and will not reset any other system changes. If you cannot physically access the EdgeRouter, you can copy the default configuration to the start-up configuration using the CLI:
cp /opt/vyatta/etc/config.boot.default /config/config.boot
then reboot the router to load the default configuration.
The default IP address for the EdgeRouter is 192.168.1.1.
Login: ubnt Password: ubnt
SSH and GUI are enabled by default, you can use either to proceed with configuration.