This article describes how to configure a long-range WiFi connection.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS: Applicable only to airMAX M devices. Please note that results will vary and will be affected by the maximum distance stated in the access point's manufacture documentation.
Table of Contents
- Please begin by restoring the radio to factory defaults. This is critical, especially if you are troubleshooting a problem. If you need more information on how to do so, this video might help.
- With your Windows PC or Mac computer configured to the 192.168.1.x subnet, connect it to the radio using an Ethernet cable.
- Using a web browser, enter 192.168.1.20 as the URL to gain access to the radio's management console.
- Enter ubnt as the administration account and ubnt as the password.
NOTE: Change ONLY the items shown, leaving others at default values.
Choose the |Network| tab:
- Network Mode: Router
- WAN Network Settings > NAT: Enable
- LAN Network Settings > DHCP Server: Enabled
- Press [Change] button
In order to use this radio as your new Wi-Fi adapter, you must:
- Disable your device's internal Wi-Fi radio.
- Set your computer to "Obtain IP Address Automatically".
- Plug the Ubiquiti radio into your device's Ethernet port.
- Power-up your Ubiquiti radio, using Ubiquiti ToughCable (shielded Ethernet cable) and the included Power over Ethernet (PoE) adapter.
ATTENTION: Shielded Ethernet cable reduces the possibility of static electrical damage to the radio. It is particularly important when mounting in RV's and boats.
Attach to Access Point
1. Attach (as a client) to an Access Point by:
- Log in to the radio's management console at 192.168.1.1
- Select the |Wireless| tab
- SSID: [Select...] and choose the AP that you wish to attach to.
User Tip: Think of "Signal" as a temperature. The "more negative", the "colder" or "weaker" the signal. Choose the most appropriate AP, with the strongest signal level as shown in this column of the "Site Survey" window. Additionally, a signal that is "warmer" than -45 is "too hot" and may cause poor performance.
2. Enter key.
- If it is protected with a Preshared Key, you will be prompted to enter it. Do so now.
- Press [Change].
- Press [Apply].
3. Within approximately 10 seconds, you will have a connection to your selected Access Point. Close your browser (it is probable that its IP address has changed and you can no longer "Logout").