In this article, readers will learn how to perform advanced adoption of an existing, "Managed by Other" device.
Table of Contents
Each device, be it a UniFi Access Point, UniFi Security Gateway or Switch, can only be managed by a single UniFi Controller since a binding exists between the device and Controller. When setting up a new Controller, devices on the same network will appear in the Device section with a status of Managed by Other. This might also be the result of a hard reset and not having a backup to restore. This article describes how to adopt them into the new Controller.
How to Adopt a Managed By Other Device
1. Open the original Controller (currently managing the devices) and navigate to Settings > Site.
2. At the very bottom of the Site page, you will find Device Authentication. Write down the username and the password (password is viewed by clicking on the input field), you will be using these credentials in the next step.
3. Return to the new Controller where the devices appear as Managed by Other in the Device page's Status column.
4. Click on the device to open its Properties panel. Choose Adopt, and then enter the proper username and password you took note of in step 2 (from the original Controller). If a static IP is to be used for the UAP, enter it here. Leave the port field blank. The Inform URL should list the network location of the controller in the following format:
NOTE: Use the local IP address if the UAP is local to the controller, but if it's a layer-3 adoption use the public IP address or DNS. For example:
5. Click Adopt and the UAP will begin the adoption process to the new Controller and provision with new settings.
No Password Scenario
All devices have a small reset hole usually located in the back of the device. Find specific instructions per device in the Related Articles below.
1. Use a paperclip to depress the button and reset the device back to its factory default settings. Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
2. Release the button (the LED on the device will stop glowing).
3. Do not disconnect the device from its power source during the reboot process.
4. The device will restore factory settings. Once the white LED re-appears and remains steady, you can commence with adoption.