Readers will learn how to run the UniFi controller software as a Windows service.
Windows services are often useful since they are “background” applications which don’t require any attention on the part of the end-user. In this way, the service will launch upon startup, without any intervention on the part of the user.
The steps to enable this service are outlined below:
- Close any instances of the UniFi software on the controller
- Open the command prompt as an Administrator
- Run Command Prompt as an Administrator, then change directory to the location of UniFi in your computer, using the command:
cd "%UserProfile%\Ubiquiti UniFi\"
- Once in the root of the UniFi folder, issue the following:
java -jar lib\ace.jar installsvc
Note: you will need to use Oracle Java JRE 8, which you can download HERE. For the UniFi cloud service (unifi.ubnt.com) to work, you need to use x64 Java only (so choose Windows x64 Offline). You can use either x86 or x64 Java for UniFi, but if you use x86 you cannot use the unifi.ubnt.com cloud tie in.
When upgrading the service first run "java -jar lib/ace.jar uninstallsvc" (without quotes) to remove the old the service. After the update is complete, run "java -jar lib/ace.jar installsvc" (without quotes) to install the service for the updated controller instance.
If you simply stop the service, then start the service you will have duplicate services running.
User Notes & Tips
These notes have been added thanks to user collaboration. Have anything to contribute? Click on the Give Feedback button below!
- Switching to a service means you have to open up ports on your firewall now."