Telnet is disabled to the EdgeRouter by default because it is an INSECURE protocol that displays both username and password in cleartext over the network. Whenever possible, use SSH instead of Telnet. Before connecting via Telnet, it's necessary to enable from the CLI or System Tab in the Web UI—see notes below for more information.
- Open the Telnet client on your computer.
- At the prompt, enter: telnet <hostname> Note: The default is 192.168.1.1 for the <hostname>. You can also enter a domain name instead of an IP address for the hostname.
- At the login prompt, enter the password (the default is ubnt).
- At the Password prompt, enter the password (the default is ubnt).
- For help with commands, you can either press the ? key or enter show and press the ? key.
To enable Telnet on the EdgeRouter from the CLI, use the following commands:
configure set service telnet listen-address x.x.x.x commit
The listen-address is optional but can be used to limit Telnet connections to the router to only those originating from your LAN network.