Readers will learn how to run operational mode commands from scripts.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS: Applicable to the latest EdgeOS firmware on all EdgeRouter models. Please see the Related Articles below for more information. Device used in this article:
Creating a Script
In this example a script is run to clear all the DHCP leases.
CLI: Access the command line interface (CLI). You can do this using the CLI button in the GUI or by using a program such as PuTTY.
1. Log in as the root user.
2. Create a basic script using the
cat > /config/scripts/cleardhcp
NOTE: The script is stored in the /config directory to prevent it from being lost during reboots and firmware upgrades.
2. Add the following contents to the script.
/opt/vyatta/bin/vyatta-op-cmd-wrapper clear dhcp leases
echo $(date +"%h %e %T") 'dhcpd: DHCP leases cleared' >> /var/log/messages
3. Use CTRL+D to exit out and save the script.
4. Modify the permissions to allow the script to execute.
chmod +x /config/scripts/cleardhcp
5. Exit back to the EdgeOS command line.
6. Run the script.