Readers will learn how to configure a SIP account in FreePBX, and configure SIP settings in the UVP.
Table of Contents
In order to configure your FreePBX installation for extensions on Ubiquiti UVP phones, follow these simple steps:
1. Navigate to the IP Address or Hostname of the FreePBX Machine, and select FreePBX Administration on your FreePBX home page.
2. Select Extensions from the drop-down menu under the Applications tab on the left.
3. You'll then arrive at a page where you'll be able to select the type of device you want to add. Choose Generic SIP Device for the UniFi VoIp Phone.
4. In the Add SIP Extension page, you will be required to fill in the following fields:
- User Extension: Extension number to dial to reach this user
- Display Name: The Caller ID name for outgoing calls from this extension; only enter the name, NOT the number
5. In the Device Option section you should enter the data for these fields:
- Secret Password: Password (secret) configured for the device's extension; it should be alphanumeric with at least 2 letters and numbers to make it secure.
- Disallow: List of disabled codecs. Set this to all to remove all codecs defined in the general settings. Note: You must disallow certain codecs or you cannot place outbound calls. These include: iLBC&speex&GSM&PCMA&PCMU.
- Allow: List of enabled codecs. Set the value to a list of codecs separated by the '&' character, in order of precedence. For the UVP set this field to ulaw&alaw&g722
6. In the Voicemail section set the following fields:
- Status: Set it to Enabled.
- Voicemail Password: This is the password used to access the voicemail system. This password can only contain numbers. A user can change the password you enter here after logging into the voicemail system (*98) with a phone.
7. Once the configuration is finished click on the Submit button, and on the following page, select Apply Config.
8. Everything should be now working as pertaining to the extension on the PBX.
If you have not already followed the Initial Configuration steps in the Standalone UniFi VoIP Phone Configuration Guide, please do so now. If you have any questions about the following settings or what they mean, that article's SIP Configuration section will be helpful. Follow these simple steps to configure the UVP:
1. The fields that you need to fill in here are:
- Server: IP or hostname of your FreePBX.
- Username: Set it to the value you used in the User Extension field in the Add SIP Extension section.
- Password: Set it to the value of the Secret Password field in the Device Option section.
- Voicemail number: *98