This article will explain in detail how to use the UniFi Site Export Wizard to quickly and easily export sites from one Controller (including configuration and devices) to another.
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
The Site Export Wizard is compatible with UniFi Controller versions 5.4.11 and above.
Table of Contents
The Site Export Wizard allows UniFi administrators to export sites from one UniFi Controller to be managed by a different or new UniFi Controller. This was previously possible with manual configuration, but the wizard offers a more convenient, and user-friendly way to do this. This process can work to/from any type of UniFi Controller including locally hosted Controllers, Cloud Keys, and UniFi Cloud Controllers, so long as Controller version is 5.4.11 or later.
There should be no network downtime, but the process of changing the controller "inform URL" (between step 10 and 11 of the instructions below) might take a few minutes, so devices will appear in the new Controller after a few minutes. This, however, should not result in any downtime since the devices will continue to be managed at all times.
NOTE: To minimize complications, make sure to complete every step of the process and to not skip any steps.
To get started, open the Controller and site that is to be exported.
1. Go to Settings > Site
2. Select the gray “Export Site” button in the bottom-right of the page. This will initiate the wizard.
3. In the first step, click “Download Backup File” to download the file that contains the site configuration to be imported into the Controller you are migrating to.
4. Next, import this site into the new controller. To do so, open up the second controller web UI, click “Current Site - (Site Name)” in top-right of the display. Within this drop-down box select “Import Site” as shown:
5. The site input will need a name (it does not have to match the original site name). Once the site has been named, select “Choose file” and select the backup file that was just downloaded i.e. "5.9.29_default.unf"
6. Once the import has finished, a confirmation that the site was imported will appear. Once the import step has been completed, go back to the export controller and click "confirm".
7. Once import step has been completed (step 5) click "Confirm".
The following steps will migrate the devices. To do so:
8. First, find the URL or IP of the destination Controller. In this case, the new controller has an IP of 192.168.1.8. So that is what is entered into the "Custom Inform URL" input field.
9. Next, select the devices that are to migrated over by clicking the boxes next to one otherwise select the entire group.
10. Click “Migrate Devices”.
11. As the last step verify that all devices are connected to the new controller and are visible on the devices page. Note this may take a few minutes. Once verification of the devices showing "connected" in the new controller site select "forget devices".
IMPORTANT: Verify that the devices are visible and appear as connected in the new Controller's Devices section before clicking Forget Devices.
Once the site export wizard has completed with success, the devices will be configurable in the new controller. At this time, unless the site was a default site, it should be safe to remove the site from the previous controller.