Readers will learn how to configure Inter-VLAN routing on an EdgeSwitch through the use of Switch Virtual Interfaces (SVI).
NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:
Applicable to the latest EdgeSwitch firmware on all EdgeSwitch models. Knowledge of the Command Line Interface (CLI) and basic networking knowledge is required. Please see the Related Articles below for more information and see the attachments for the configuration used in this article.
Devices used in this article:
Table of Contents
The network topology is shown below and the following interfaces are in use on the EdgeSwitch and EdgeRouter:
- eth0 - 203.0.113.1
- eth1 - 10.255.12.1/30
- 0/8 - 10.255.12.2/30
- 0/3 - Untagged (U) VLAN10
- 0/6 - Untagged (U) VLAN10 / Tagged (T) VLAN20
The UAP-AC-Pro will tag the wireless network with VLAN20. The access-point's management traffic is sent untagged and will be placed in VLAN10.
Inter-VLAN routing will allow the VLAN10 and VLAN20 networks to communicate with each other through the switch. You can also set up Inter-VLAN routing on the EdgeRouter (example article here). The advantage of using the EdgeSwitch is that all traffic between VLAN10 and VLAN20 does not have to pass through the router.
CLI: Access the command line interface (CLI).
1. Enter privileged mode.
2. Create the VLANs and VLAN-Interfaces (SVIs).
vlan routing 10
vlan routing 20
3. Enter configuration mode.
4. Assign the ports to the VLANs created above.
vlan pvid 10
vlan participation exclude 1,20
vlan participation include 10
vlan tagging 20
vlan pvid 10
vlan participation exclude 1
vlan participation include 10,20
5. Enable routing functionality on the uplink port (0/8) and assign it an IP address.
ip address 10.255.12.2 255.255.255.252
6. Associate the VLAN10 and VLAN20 SVIs with IP addresses and enable routing.
interface vlan 10
ip address 10.0.10.2 255.255.255.0
interface vlan 20
ip address 10.0.20.2 255.255.255.0
7. Globally enable routing functionality and create a default route to the EdgeRouter.
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.255.12.1
8. Exit back to privileged mode and write the changes to the startup configuration.