This article discusses group configuration and device tags on UniFi. Tags allow network administrators to filter the devices list, while group configuration allows them to configure entire groups of UniFi devices at once. See the section below to see what settings can be edited with this feature.
Table of Contents
- Capabilities of Group Configuration
- Using Group Configuration
- How to Upgrade Using Group Configuration
- Using Device Tags to Group Devices
Capabilities of Group Configuration
UniFi Access Points
The following UniFi Access Point (UAP) settings can be edited with batch configuration:
- Radio Channel
- Radio Channel Width
- Radio Transmit Power
- Minimum RSSI
- WLAN Groups
- Management VLAN
- Band Steering
- Airtime Fairness
- Disable Device
- Enable/disable LED
- Device Tags
The following UniFi Switch settings can be edited with batch configuration:
- Enable/Disable LED
- Device Tags
- Management VLAN
- Jumbo Frame Enable/Disable
- Flow Control Enable/Disable
- Spanning Tree Protocol Mode
- Spanning Tree Protocol Priority
- 802.1X Enable/Disable
Using Group Configuration
1. Navigate to the Devices page and select device type on the top bar (the group configuration feature will not appear if ALL is selected). Click on the gears in the upper right corner of the table, and check the box next to Enable group config. An empty check box will appear next to each device applicable in the Devices list.
2. Check the boxes of all devices to be configured, or use the column header to select all.
3. Click Edit Selected to bring up the Properties sidebar to the right of the screen.
4. Queue the desired configuration changes in the Configuration tab, then click Apply Changes to push the configuration to the device group.
5. After applying the configuration, the selected devices will show as Provisioning or Connected depending on the extent of changes and number of devices being configured. Once the devices are Connected, all changes should be applied. Check the properties of an individual device within the batch to verify that changes were applied successfully.
How to Upgrade Using Group Configuration
You can upgrade a group of your devices using the Batch Configuration. Follow the instructions described above, to enable Group Config and select the devices you wish to upgrade.
1. In the Batch Configuration panel, select Manage Devices.
2. Paste the firmware link corresponding to your device models in the Custom Upgrade section and click CUSTOM UPGRADE. Find firmware for all our devices in our Downloads page. Your devices should begin upgrading.
Using Device Tags to Group Devices
When managing a number of devices, adding device tags can be very useful. For example, let's say you wanted to have a separate configuration for your access points based on location either upstairs or downstairs. By adding tags, you could use these groups to easily separate the upstairs and downstairs APs for use with group configuration.
To assign tags:
Go to the Devices > APs (or Gateway/Switches) > Select Multiple APs (Group Configuration must be enabled) > Configuration > General and under Common Device Tags add the tag of choice. Hit enter to create a new one.
To refine view based on tag:
Enter your tag, or choose from a drop-down of tags by using the search field in the top-right of the Devices page.